Self-introduction Email

Revised Date: 10/4/2021

Subject: Self-introduction Email

Hi Professor Blackstone

 

My name is Raudhah. I am a year 1 civil engineering student from the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). Prior to joining SIT, I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) in 2018 with diploma in maritime business. Afterwards, I had decided to work full-time and then went on to take A-Level as a private candidate. I took A-Level to aid me in my university application to be a civil engineering undergraduate since I was from a completely different field.

 

What sparked my interest to pursue this course was my 2-week overseas project experience in Cagayan de Oro, Philippines when I was studying in SP. Our project focus was improving the marketing strategy and manufacturing process for the making of Abaca crafts by a group of elderly women in a village called Consolacion for them to generate more income. During that trip i realised how the community there lacked access to facilities such as clean water and good sewage system, whereas in Singapore, these facilities are common and easily accessible. I realised then that I wanted to be involved in ensuring everyone can gain access to basic facilities easily like sanitation system and eventually, I discovered my interest in civil engineering.

 

To be an effective civil engineer in the future, I believe that good communication skills are essential. I am able to speak well with small groups of strangers – a skill which I acquired from my experience interacting with passers-by during public events and roadshows. Through my interactions with the public, I also became adept at reading non-verbal cues and expressions and can focus attentively to people when conversing. However, when speaking to larger groups of audience, I still get nervous and lose confidence when speaking.

 

Overall, from this module, I wish to be competent when speaking to a bigger audience and be confident during presentations. These skills will be immensely useful for my career.  I look forward to attending your future classes to hone my communication skills.

 

Warmest Regards

Raudhah

 

Student ID: 2002806

Group 6

Comments

  1. Thank you very much for posting your letter, Raudah. I look forward to reading it and also reading the comments from your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raudhah, good effort in your introduction email.

    Overall, your self-introduction is complete and clear.

    For the signing out, you can take note of the capitalization whether is it Warmest Regards, or Warmest regards.

    Other than that, it is fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jun Jie

      Thank you for reading my blog post and for your input. I will take it into consideration and adjust it accordingly.

      Regards
      Raudhah

      Delete
  3. Hello Raudhah

    This is an interesting email, I completely agree with you on the struggle when speaking to a large crowd. I hope that we will be able to overcome this weakness together in this class!

    Here are a few mistakes that I stumbled upon:

    1) Perhaps inserting "the" before "Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)" for proper nouns denoting any institution.

    2)"Personally" may be redundant, it could be removed in the sentence.

    3)"attend" to "attending" as the word is usually in gerund form, when used before "look forward to".

    Cheers
    Diyanah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diyanah

      Thank you for reading my blog post and for your inputs! I will take them into consideration and adjust my post accordingly.

      Regards
      Raudhah

      Delete
  4. Hi Raudhah,

    I enjoyed reading your letter as it gives me an opportunity to get to know you more. In your letter you mentioned that you came from a different field and how you gain interest in civil engineering, it is really amazing knowing how you gain your interest by having a positive though for others.

    I find that your letter is very clear and complete, one thing that you can consider is adding the word well in the part "i can speak (well) with small groups of strangers'. Other than that its a nice letter!

    Best regards,
    ChengQuan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Raudah,

      First, I want to apologize for the late review of your letter. It takes time, of course, to do the review, and generally I just go down the blog list in each of my classes, that's why some review are tardy. (It would be easy of I had no other responsibilities. )

      In your letter's case, it looks like I've saved one of the most fluent, most exceptional for last. This is really a finely written letter. You cover the parameters of the assignment concisely and illustrate with clear examples and explanations, and you let us know some very interesting information about yourself. One bit is that you graduated in maritime business but shifted to CVE. That does seem like a big jump. It's fascinating, too, that you worked full time and did a private A-level. That's great. I'm just curious about where you worked and how you managed to persevere through such a hectic time.

      You also share about your overseas project at Cagayan de Oro, Philippines. Amazing that such a project experience had an influence on you. I'd like to know what your projct focus was.

      You also do a fine job of explaining your com skills needs and strength. I look forward to helping you address that this term. This letter is a start, and you've gotten fine feedback already from classmates.

      I look forward to seeing how you polish this letter and reading more of your writing this term.

      Best wishes,

      Brad



      Delete
    2. Hi Cheng Quan

      Thank you for reading my blog post and for your inputs! I will take them into consideration and adjust my post accordingly.

      Regards
      Raudhah

      Delete
  5. Hi Professor Blackstone

    Thank you for reading my blog post and for your inputs! I will take them into consideration and adjust my post accordingly.

    Regards
    Raudhah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts